We always aim to carry out a professional assessment, making it clear what you can expect from us and what you need to do in return. We will do our best to make our service easy to use, we will listen to you and make sure you feel comfortable.
Key things to remember:
- The Capita health professional assessing you does not decide whether you will get PIP. This is done by DWP using your assessment report and any other evidence you have supplied.
- PIP assessments are not medical. The health professional will not diagnose your condition or recommend treatment. It is a functional assessment to understand how your health condition or disability affects you.
- PIP is a non-means tested benefit, meaning you can make a claim whether you are in or out of work.
- If you need to have an assessment, it will be with a qualified health professional who will treat you with respect.
- We know that for some this can be a stressful process and we encourage you to bring someone along with you to the assessment.
- Assessments usually take around an hour. If you need a break at any point, please let the health professional know.
- If your appointment is face-to-face or over the telephone, you can ask to have your assessment recorded.
- There are lots of organisations that can support you with your PIP claim. Click here to find a free, independent advice organisation in your area.
- If you are not happy with DWP’s decision, you can ask for them to relook at your case. Click here to find out more.
We are here to support you through the PIP process. Please get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns.