Video relay service
Let us know if you would like to...
- Change your appointment - it's really important that you keep your appointment. If you don't, we will return your claim to the DWP. If you cannot keep your appointment for any reason, tell us straight away. You can only change your appointment once.
- Request a language translator or British Sign Language interpreter
- Request an appointment with a health professional of a specific gender
What you need for your Sign Video assessment
- Proof of ID - you will not be asked to show ID, but you will be asked some security questions.
- Your telephone - if you are using your mobile phone, make sure your phone is fully charged before the assessment. Try to be in a quiet place, with a good signal and no background noise.
- Any new evidence - if you have any new evidence of how your health condition or disability affects your daily life, please discuss this with the health professional. You will need to send a copy of this to DWP after your assessment.
Please send any new evidence to:
Personal Independence Payment 1
Mail Handling Site A
What device do i need to use?
To use SignVideo, you will need three things as minimum requirements:
1) A device:
They can be one of the following:
- Window PC app
- Apple Macs app
- iOS app
- Android app
- SignVideo Web
2) Webcam: They can be plugged in or built in.
3) Good internet connection: For the best experience with SignVideo, we advise having a minimum 2mbps upload and download internet speed. Your internet connection can be any of the following:
- 3G,4G,5G mobile network
- Plugged in Broadband/ethernet
Who can join you at your assessment?
We encourage you to have someone with you during your assessment. This could be a friend, family member, carer or support worker. They should not speak for you, but they can help you to answer any questions or explain the difficulties you face more clearly. If your companion will be translating or interpreting for you, they must be over 18.
Back to top
If you need a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter...
For Deaf or Hard of Hearing people who use British Sign Language (BSL). Your telephone assessment will take place using our video relay service.
This service is free of charge and the interpreters are fully qualified and registered.
If you are invited for a telephone assessment using our video relay service but do not have the necessary equipment, please contact us as soon as possible.
To join your assessment, you need to:
- go to www.signvideo.co.uk before your appointment, download the SignVideo mobile app and search for CAPITA PIP ASSESSMENTS,
- click on this link https://capitapipassessments.signvideo.net or type it into your internet browser
At the time of your appointment, please connect to SignVideo and tell them that you are calling Capita for your PIP assessment.
The health professional will write a report for the DWP.
The report will be based on the evidence you have provided as well as anything you discussed during your assessment.
They will send the report to the DWP so they can make a decision on your claim.
The DWP will look at your claim and all supporting information. This includes the assessment report, your ‘How your disability affects you’ form and any other evidence you have provided.
Once they have made their decision, they will write to you to tell you if you can get PIP. This letter will also tell you what to do next if you do not agree with the decision.
When you get your decision letter, if you want a copy of the assessment report, or you have any questions about your claim or the decision, please phone the DWP (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) on 0800 121 4433 (textphone: 0800 121 4493).
If you have hearing or speech difficulties, you can also contact DWP through Relay UK or their Video Relay Service.
To find out more about PIP decisions, watch this short video.